Remembering The Littleport and Ely Riots
Over two days between May 22nd and May 24th in the year 1816, an event took place which has become part of history around the Fenland area, The Littleport and Ely riots were caused by local high unemployment
and rising grain costs. On May 22nd a group of Littleport locals were drinking heavily in the Globe Inn, upon leaving they began to be abusive to the more wealthy people of the parish demanding money from them and destroying their property.
The abuse then spread along into the small cathedral city of Ely, where the local magistrates tried to calm the drunken protesters by ordering poor relief and a fixed minimum wage, the following day a militia of the citizens of Ely arrested the ringleaders and in the first week of June they went on trial.
23 men and 1 woman were found guilty and various sentences were handed down some were even transported never to see their homeland again, but five received the most severe sentence – that of being
hanged. They were William Beamiss, Isaas Harley, George Crow, Thomas South and John Dennis.
Visit the old Gaol in the Ely Museum and view John Dennis in his cell as he awaits his death. Also visit the Ely Courthouse where you can witness short re-enactments of the trials of some of the rioters.
Date: Saturday May 21st 2016
Time: 11am to 4pm
Destination: The Ely Museum, Market Street, Ely, Cambridgeshire. CB7 4LS.
Admission: Please contact below for full details.
Information:
Telephone: 01353666655
Website: Ely Museum



Leave a Reply
Want to join the discussion?Feel free to contribute!