A Brief History:
Stretham means "the settlement on the street" and refers to the Roman Road of Akeman Street which passed close by. The village is included in the Domesday Survey of 1086 with fisheries for 3,250 eels.
The first rector of the Church that we know of by name was Arnulf "sometime before 1222" so the existence of a Church building at that time can be presumed. Some Saxo-Norman pottery has been found on the site and the buttresses against the east wall of the Chancel are thought to be 12th century. The Chancel, North Aisle and Tower are 14th century and the spire, when added in the late 14th century, was only one of six made of stone in the Isle of Ely, out of twenty nine Parish Churches and Chapels of Medieval date.
Thanks to Ian Stewart for compiling the information about Stretham.