CITY OF ELY BOWLS CLUB opening day 1925The City of Ely Bowls Club is located in Nutholt Lane and was formed initially as a Men's Club in 1925 with only four rinks and an obsolete railway carriage as a pavilion. Membership was about 25 with a subscription of five shillings (25p). As president of the Club, the Lord Bishop of Ely (Dr L. J. White-Thompson), officially opened the Green just prior to severe thunderstorm bursting over the City. The Bishop can been seen on the extreme left, of the black and white picture, keenly watching the play.

The green was extended to six rinks with a new hut to replace the old pavilion in 1933 and two years later opened its doors to a Ladies Section. In 1950 the first new brick pavilion was built and in 1960 the present Cumberland turf green was laid.

In December 1968 Mr Les Cornwell approached eight outdoor bowlers - Dan Ward, Bill Scott, Dick Saberton, Tom Day, Bill Bishop, Zack Sizer and Horace Martin - about the possibility of building an Indoor Bowling Club. And so the dream began with each of the above giving a loan of £750 and together with loans from outdoor clubs in Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, Suffolk and Huntingdonshire in 1989 the building started.

In June 1970, the City of Ely Indoor Bowls Club was opened by Tom Rule, the Outdoor Bowls County President. and in the first year attracted over 400 members. Mr Dan Ward became the first president with Tom Day vice-president, Robin McClaren Chairman, Les Cornwell Treasurer and David Cornwell in charge of arranging the bowling programme.

Since the opening the indoor club has been extended by a further two rinks (1978), the provision of a new members lounge (1992) and a new carpet (1995). The Club is now a combined Indoor and Outdoor Club with a thriving membership. Coaching and social membership are available.

indoor bowlers Year 2000 was a special year for the Club as it was the Outdoor Section's 75th Anniversary and the Indoor Section's 30th Anniversary. The Club is the most successful sports club in the district with six England Internationals as Members. We currently boast the World's No. 1 Bowler in Greg Harlow and a 2002 Commonwealth Games Gold Medal Winner in Ellen Falkner.

The Outdoor Season starts on the 1st May each year and runs until the second week of September. The Indoor Club is open from mid September until the end of April the following year with limited bowling during the Summer. Anybody interested in joining or arranging a match against the club can get further information by using the telephone number below.

Further information can be obtained from the Membership Secretary;
Sandra Roberts (Tele: 01353 664252)

Thanks: Graham Ramsey -City of Ely Bowls Club, Nutholt Lane, Ely, Cambridgeshire. CB7 4PL
. Tel: (01353) 665272 or E-mail: